4XI Match Reports


Gore Court 4XI 1-4 Canterbury 5s

Gore Court 4XI suffered another defeat on Saturday to Canterbury 5s.  Court took an early lead with a fine goal from Sam Boyns who popped up at the far post to slam the ball home past the Canterbury goalkeeper.  Canterbury soon equalised but Court were awarded a penalty flick which agonisingly hit the post.  Canterbury grew stronger in the second half and took a 2-1 lead and with Court pressing for an equaliser they scored two more goals to make the final score 4-1 to the visitors.

Canterbury Griffins 5-0 Gore Court 4XI 


Gore Court 4XI suffered a heavy defeat away to Canterbury Griffins on Saturday.  Canterbury raced into a 3-0 lead by half time after some good play which lead to a goals from open play, a penalty flick and a short corner.  Gore Court were much better in the second half but unfortunately couldn't take any of their chances and while they were pressing looking for goals Canterbury were able to score two more to make the final score 5-0 to the home side.


Gore Court 4XI 3-2 Sutton Valence 2XI


Gore Court 4XI finally got their first win over the season with a battling 3-2 victory against Sutton Valence 2XI in tricky conditions.  With the wind and rain blowing across Westlands playing fields both sides found it tough going to begin with.  Court were the first to stike when Josh Laird attacked down the right and drew the Sutton Valence keeper out and then squared the ball to Doug Reid who slotted the ball away.  The second was similar but this time Sam Laird crossed the ball for older brother Josh to score from close range.  Sutton Valence hit back with two goals in the second half and with time running out Josh Laird played an aerial ball to Mark Webber who crossed for Sam Laird to take all three points for the home side.

Canterbury 5s 1-1 Gore Court 4XI

Gore Court 4XI earned their first point of the season with a battling 1-1 draw away at Canterbury 5s in driving wind and rain.  There were few chances early on although Canterbury had some short corners which Court defended resolutely.  Court then took the lead late in the first half when Kevin Hopkinson drifted towards the left side of the Canterbury circle before unleashing a fierce reverse stick shot which flew past the Canterbury keeper into the top of the goal.  The second half became more difficult for Court when Hopkinson went off with an injury which meant the remaining players had to play the whole of the second half without any substitutions.  Canterbury kept pressing and eventually found a way to score to make the score 1-1 at full time.

Gore Court 4XI 2-6 Herne Bay 3XI


Gore Court 4XI had another tough day this weekend suffering a 6-2 defeat to Herne Bay 3XI.  Herne Bay were on the front foot from the off and went two goals up in the first half.  Court scored a couple of goals from Dom Quinn and James Anderson to make the game closer at 3-2 to Herne Bay but the away team scored another three goals without reply to make the final result 6-2.

Maidstone 3XI 11-2 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court 4XI suffered their heaviest defeat for a long time with an 11-2 loss to Maidstone 3XI on Saturday. Maidstone took an early 2-0 lead after coping better in the wind and rain before Gore Court hit back with a well worked goal which saw Ned Bishop cross the ball from the right hand side for Mark Webber to slot home. Maidstone then scored their third before Court pulled a goal back with another cross from the right this time by Andy Bourne for Webber to control and take the shot on his reverse past the Maidstone keeper.  Maidstone then scored their fourth before half time.  The second half became more difficult for Court who conceded seven goals without being able to score anymore themselves.

Ashford 4XI 5-0 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court 4XI got their league season underway with a heavy defeat away at Ashord Hockey Club.  Ashford scored within the first 30 seconds with a well worked goal which ended up with a clever flick past the Court keeper.  They doubled their lead shortly afterwards before Court managed to start to play.  The second half began evenly with Court winning a succession of short corners none of which they could convert whereas Ashford went further ahead from two short corners of their own.  With Court pushing forward looking for a consolation goal Ashford added to the lead to make the final score 5-0 to the home side.


Tunbridge Wells 4XI 9-5 Gore Court 4XI

Gore Court 4XI travelled to Tunbridge Wells 4XI with a scratch side and gave up the game inside seven minutes as they failed to settle and found themselves down 4-0.  This turned to 6-0 by the time a quarter of the game was done and although goals from James Anderson and Paul Birch showed signs of the hockey Court are capable of, at 8 - 2, the game was over by half time.


A rousing half time talking got the weakened side into a more positive pattern of play.  Creative skills from Birch and Paul Surridge, coupled with Liverpool-esque pressure from the resurgent midfield and a front line led by Anderson hardly allowed Wells into the Court half. Court started pegging the goals back through Andrew Perriam, Surridge and Anderson but sadly squandered several others. A last minute goal from the home side was harsh on Court, though the result was not.

Sevenoaks Acorns 0-0 Gore Court 4XI


A rare thing happened at Sevenoaks' Hollybush Lane at the weekend, a 0-0 draw in a hockey match.  Two evenly matched sides took turns in having periods of domination and both had chances to take the lead but they were either squandered due to poor finishing or snuffed out by fine defending from both defences.  With the game going into the last few minutes Sevenoaks had two clear cut chances the first of which was saved on the goal line by Zach Phee and the second was almost a carbon copy from Ewan Spears.  The umpire initially gave a penalty stroke to Sevenoaks as the ball hit Spears' foot on the line but it had hit the Sevenoaks' forward's foot first so a free hit was awarded to Gore Court.  Shortly afterwards the umpires blew for full time which meant Gore Court stay top of the league on goal difference from Ashford 4XI.

Gore Court 4XI 4-2 Gravesham & Wellcome 2XI


Gore Court 4XI won their first game of the New Year against a stubborn Gravesham & Wellcome 2XI with another fine display. Gore Court were comfortably 2-0 up in the first half with two goals from Will Dixon only to see Gravesham score from a deflected short corner and another deflection which lifted the ball over the advancing Gore Court keeper. Court regained the authority in the match with two further goals from Barry Walker and James Anderson to keep them top of Kent Open Division C two points ahead of their nearest rivals.

Gore Court 4XI 1-0 Ashford 4XI

Gore Court’s 4th string continued their strong start to the season with a win in their top of the table clash at home to Ashford.


Playing a kicking back instead of a goalkeeper Court dominated possession with Barry Walker and Mark Webber creating plenty of opportunities for the forward line. However, penalty corners came and went, as did a penalty flick, in a scoreless first half. 


Ashford were more effective in the second half, but Court continued to grind out chances and eventually took the win 10 minutes from time with a bullet of a penalty corner strike from Paul Birch. 

Gore Court 4XI  4 - 4  Sevenoaks Acorns


Gore Court followed up their 3-0 opening day win over Gravesham with a solid performance against a strong Sevenoaks side.  In an evenly balanced match, Court found themselves down on four occasions, but resolutely stuck to their game plan, playing some delightful attacking hockey at times.  Al Stewart found the net mid way through the first half after excellent play down the left side from Luke Stringer and Andy Perriam.  Mark Webber made sure the teams went into the break all square.


In the second half, Court pressured the Sevenoaks defence for a series of penalty corners and skipper Paul Birch was able to convert at the third attempt after the visitors had once again gone ahead.  With less than 6 minutes on the clock Court again found themselves a goal down, but a superb run by vice-captain Barry Walker sealed a point for Court and keeps them unbeaten for the start of the season.



Gore Court 4XI 3-4 Tunbridge Wells 3XI


Gore Court 4XI came close to securing their first point of the season at the weekend only to see their opponents Tunbridge Wells 3XI snatch it away in the dying moments of the game.  Tunbridge Wells started well and were soon two goals up but undeterred Gore Court continued to fight and pulled a goal back when Luke Stringer's shot went in at the far post past the Wells' goalkeeper.  Sam Boyns equalised for Court with a deflection from a ball into the D from Ashley Hooker.  Tunbridge Wells then went ahead again and with the game looking lost Mark Webber ran past most of the Tunbridge Wells defence to calmly slot the ball home.  Court then went into defensive mode to try and secure the point but a Tunbridge Wells attacker stole the ball when it looked as though it was rolling over the byline and crossed to an unmarked team mate who tapped into an empty net.  Court then went all out attack but couldn't find the equaliser to gain the point they deserved.


Ashford 4XI 2-5 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court secured a well deserved victory against a robust Ashford side on Saturday. Court started the game well and took an early lead from a Rob Goodwin short corner strike. Court’s lead was doubled minutes later when a rasping shot from Goodwin cannoned back off the keeper on to an Ashford defender’s stick and back into the goal – spectacularly unlucky! The lead was extended to 3 when Goodwin coolly rounded the keeper to slot in for his hat trick. However, with half time beckoning, a rare Ashford attack found a striker free in the D to score comfortably. The second half was much more evenly contested. Court again started strongly and a melee in the Ashford D saw the ball fall invitingly to Nigel Eves to strike home past a static keeper. The game appeared to be safe with 10 minutes to go when Ashley Hooker drilled home a short corner, but a spirited fight back from Ashford saw them reduce the deficit with 10 minutes to go and but for some solid keeping from Mackenzie Stevens, the margin of victory would have been closer.

Canterbury 5XI 2-2 Gore Court 4XI

Gore Court 4XI produced a solid performance on Saturday and will feel they should have taken all three points.  Canterbury took the lead in the first half but goals from Scott Hazell and Nigel Eves saw Court take a deserved lead. However with five minutes to go Canterbury struck to leave Court ruing missed chances.

Gore Court 4XI 2-0 Holcombe 4XI

Gore Court 4XI secured a comfortable win over local rivals Holcombe 4XI at the weekend. Court scored two first half goals through Culum Annand and Scott Hazell, Holcombe rarely threatened and Court saw out an easy win.

Gore Court 4XI 1-1 Marden Russets 2XI

An evenly matched and tense affair of a game saw few chances for either side.  It was Gore Court who took the early advantage with a goal fom captain Paul Mills who hit the ball into the roof of the net following a short corner. Marden never gave up and they deserved an equaliser five minutes from time with a well worked move.


Gore Court 4XI 9-1 Folkestone Optimist 4XI


Gore Court 4XI had their second biggest win of the season at home to Folkestone 4XI on Saturday.  The optimism of the Folkestone team must have faded vey quickly as they were well and truly thumped at Westlands.  Goals from Sam Miller (3), Scott Hazel (2) and one each from Noel Lander, Alex Nicholls, Josh Harding and Paul Mills capped a fine team display with Ryan Kelly particularly impressive.


Gore Court 4XI 3-3 New Beccehamiams 2XI


Gore Court 4XI entertained top of the table New Beccehamiams 2XI on Saturday.  It was the London side that dominated the first half and defensive lapses saw them race into a three-nil lead with not long played.  Court hung on and were given a lifeline just before half time through Frazer Stevens.  Half time gave Court time to think it through and a much more determined side took to the pitch for the second half and Court were duly rewarded for their efforts, again it was Stevens who made it 2-3.  Court deservedly squared it up through man of the match Stevens as he calmly converted a penalty flick.  An entertaining game from the entertaining fourth eleven!


Marden Russets 3XI 3-4 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court 4XI travelled out into deepest Kent to face a Marden side just one place below them in the league. Court were shoddy for most of the first half and went into half time 2-0 down.  However, it was a different Court side that came out for the second half and goals from Frazer Stevens and Paul Mills saw Court quickly level things off.  This topsy turvy clash then saw Marden go in front once again only for Mills to square things up to make honours even.  Court, playing much the better hockey, now turned the screw and goals from Culum Annand and Ashley Hooker saw Court return to Sittingbourne with all three points.


Gore Court 4XI 0-2 Canterbury 5XI


A close game on Saturday at Westlands saw Canterbury edge a plucky Gore Court side.  The blue and golds started strongly but it was Canterbury who took the lead mid-way through the first half.  Court threatened but never really had a cutting edge and it was Canterbury who sealed the win late on with a second goal.


Gore Court 4XI 4-3 Herne Bay 2XI


A thrilling game of hockey saw Gore Court edge a classic at Westlands on Saturday.  Herne Bay took an early lead but it was Court who played the better hockey and deservedly equalised through Jonathon Booth and then take the lead through the excellent Frazer Stevens.  Court then increased their lead through Ashley Hooker before Herne Bay mounted an impressive come back to firstly reduce Court's lead an then equalise with five minutes to go.  Gore Court were not to be denied and a fine team passing move saw man of the match Booth score the winner with seconds to go.


HSBC 1XI 1-5 Gore Court 4XI


An outstanding team performance on Saturday saw Gore Court 4XI ease to victory.  Court took an early lead through the excellent Jon Booth, and Culum Annand doubled the blue and golds lead soon after.  Credit must go to HSBC who took their only chance of the first half to give themselves a sniff at half time.  Court wobbled until captain Paul Mills smashed in a third to make things comfortable.  Then came the champagne hockey as first Scott Hazell and then Barry Walker sealed a good win.


Gore Court 4XI 11-2 Old Williamsonians 3XI


Gore Court 4XI returned to winning ways on Saturday with an 11-2 drubbing of Old Williamsonians 3XI.  Hat-tricks from James Anderson and Alex Nicholls along with two goals each from man of the match Josh Ollerenshaw and Jon Laird and one from Neil Wanstall made it a good day for Gore Court's fourth team.


Folkestone 4XI 2-1 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court travelled to a rain soaked Folkestone on Saturday hoping to bounce back from recent disappointments.  However, the visitors failed to get into their stride and it was the home side who raced into a deserved two-nil halftime lead.  After stern words at half time Court rallied and chance after chance came and went before Paul Mills finally scored with fifteen minutes to go.  It wasn't enough however, inability in front of goal costing the blue and golds.


Gore Court 4XI 1-4 Tunbridge Wells 3XI


Gore Court 4XI were well and truly beaten at home on Saturday.  Tunbridge Wells took a deserved early lead and doubled their lead soon after. James Anderson gave court a sniff of getting back into the game but it wasn't to be as Wells increased their lead twice more for a deserved victory.


New Beccehamian 2XI 3-1 Gore Court 4XI


A confident Gore Court side travelled to Beckenham on Saturday looking to move further up the table.  It wasn't to be as a sluggish start saw New Beccs take a two-nil half time lead.  Ahsley Hooker gave Court hope with a fine strike but injury to skipper Paul Mills saw Court play most of the second half with ten men and it was New Beccs who took full advantage scoring two further goals to seal a comprehensive victory.


Gore Court 4XI 3-0 Marden Russets 3XI


Gore Court continued their recent good form and comfortably overcame Marden Russets on Saturday.  All of the goals came in the first half through Flanders, Harry Spillett and James Anderson.  It could have been worse for the visitors had it not been for the Marden keeper and some poor finishing form Gore Court.


Canterbury 5XI 2-1 Gore Court 4XI


A confident Gore Court 4XI side travelled to Canterbury on Saturday looking to build on last week's win and it was Court who took the game to the hosts in a one sided first half.  However, Court failed to capitalise and it wasn't until the second half that they took a deserved lead through Josh Ollerenshaw.  Canterbury came back strongly and having levelled they broke Court hearts with a late winner.


Holcombe 4XI 1-4 Gore Court 4XI


Gore Court 4XI travelled to Holcombe on Saturday looking for their first league win of the season.  Court took the game to Holcombe and took a deserved lead early in the game only for Holcombe to equalise shortly after. Skipper Paul Mills restored the lead before half time and Ashley Hooker and Jon Laird added the icing on the cake in the second half for a convincing Gore Court win.