5XI Match Reports


Gore Court 5XI 1-2 Gillingham Anchorians 4XI


Gore Court 5XI faced Gillingham Anchorians 4XI on Saturday and took an early lead through a goal from striker Ashley Simmons.  The game was fairly even throughout the first half but the visitors scored late on to make it all square at halftime.  The second half carried in the same manner with both sides having possession of the ball but Anchorians struck near to the end of the match to take all three points. 

Gravesham and Wellcome Unicorns 2-1 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI took a drive up the A2 to a very wet and blustery Gravesham and eventually went down to a 2-1 defeat.  The challenging conditions made it tough for both teams to get any kind of meaningful possession but it was the home side who eventually managed to sneak the ball into Court's goal at the far post.  Court managed to score from a short corner when Paul Birch took the ball around the onrushing defender before slotting the ball under the keeper.  Gravesham pressed more towards the end of the game and a shot on the goal evaded the defence to hit the backboard and give the home side the points.

Gore Court 5XI 2-3 Marden Russets 7XI


Gore Court 5XI began the new season after a long lay off for hockey with a 3-2 defeat at home to Marden Russets 7XI. Marden began well with some good passing moves and went 2-0 up in the first half. Gore Court managed to start to get back into the game after half time and score their first goal from a short corner which was scored by Paul Birch. Soon afterwards Birch breezed past the Marden defence and passed to Neil Brookson who flicked the ball into the top corner. With a draw looking likely Marden popped up with the winning goal late on.


Herne Bay 5XI 3-1 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI travelled to Herne Bay to play their 5XI in the early slot on Saturday but for all their efforts they went down to a 3-1 defeat.  With the wind getting stronger and the threat of the forthcoming storm in the air the first half was a scrappy affair.  Both teams had short corner chances but it was the home side who mangaed to convert one of theirs to take the lead.  Gore Court managed to make the game level when William Jury found Richard Usher in the D who passed the ball calmly into the net.  The second half was much of the same and although Gore Court had their chances they could not find the finishing touch and it was Herne Bay who took all three points with two second half goals.

Gore Court 5XI 4-0 Folkestone 7XI


Gore Court 5XI had their biggest win of the season against Folkestone 7XI in a wind and rain swept match.  With the wind behind them in the first half Gore Court were unable to use it to their advantage despite being given a penalty flick for a foot preventing the ball crossing the goal line along with several short corners which Folkestone defended well.  


With the score at 0-0 going into the second half it looked as though it might be a tough task for the home side against the strengthening wind.  Court managed to press their visitors back for much of the half and it wasn't long before Ashley Simmons scored with a shot on the turn which went into the corner of the goal.  Simmons was soon to play the ball through the Folkestone defence and with the keeper thinking he could leave the ball to go out Gore Court junior William Jury gave chase and managed to catch up with the ball and hit it into the net with an excellent reverse stick shot for his first goal in adult hockey.  Soon Simmons got his second goal after Neil Brookson found him in the D and he was able to put the ball past the keeper.  Brookson finished off the scoring with a shot high into the corner of the goal to give the home side a hard won victory. 

Tunbridge Wells 5XI 2-2 Gore Court 5XI

Gore Court 5XI earned themselves a battling 2-2 draw away at Tunbridge Wells on Saturday.  Both teams were evenly matched in the first half but it was Court who took the lead after a mazy run from Paul Birch split the Wells defence and his pass fell to Stan McIntyre who slotted the ball into the corner of the net.  Wells pulled a goal back before Birch's through ball into the D took a couple of deflections before arriving on the end of Richard Usher's stick who drove the ball past the Wells keeper.  Wells pulled a goal back late into the game to make the final score 2-2. 

Gore Court 5XI 1-3 Old Williamsonians 5XI


Gore Court 5XI suffered their first defeat of the season in a challenging match against Old Williamsonians 5XI.  Old Williamsonians took the lead early on with a goal tapped in at the far post from an unmarked attacker before Ashley Simmons made the score all square at half time with a well taken strike for Gore Court.  Old Williamsonians scored two further goals in the second half without reply with the home side becoming more tired as the game went on.  With only eleven fit players Court struggled against their opponents who had the luxury of five substitutes and with their coach making good use of them the away side went back to Rochester with all three points.

Gore Court 5XI 2-1 Burnt Ash 7XI

Gore Court 5XI began the new season with a 2-1 home win against Burnt Ash 7XI.  Both teams started brightly with both keepers being called into action early on but the score remained 0-0 at half time.

Burnt Ash took the lead early on into the second half with a well taken reverse stick shot into the corner of the Gore Court goal.  Court regrouped and a surging run by Nigel Eves into the D ended with a pass to Stan McIntyre who swept the ball into the goal.  Soon after Andy Bourne moved into the Burnt Ash D and struck a fierce shot into the far corner of the goal.  A good, solid performance from the home team for the first game of the season with hopes of more to come.


Gore Court 5XI 0-2 New Beccehamians 3XI


Gore Court 5XI lost 0-2 to New Beccehamians 3XI in a closely fought match in blustery conditions on Saturday.  New Beccs had most of the play with the wind behind them in the first half and managed to take a two goal lead into the half time break.  Court them upped their game with the wind at their backs and forced a series of short corners.  The New Beccs keeper played well and made some excellent saves from these corners and denied Gore Court any chance of a comeback.

Tunbridge Wells 6-3 Gore Court 5XI

Gore Court 5XI lost away at Tunbridge Wells on Saturday in a closely fought match which could have gone either way.  Court took the lead through Ashley Simmons with a shot from the top of the D before Tunbridge Wells scored twice to take the lead.  James Upson made the scores level with another shot from the top of the D before Tunbridge Wells scored another two goals.  Neil Brookson made the scores closer with a half volley shot which whistled passed the goalkeeper's head before Court had the chance to draw level again but the ball narrowly missed the T Wells post.  From the restart the home side went and scored their fifth and then late on a sixth to leave Court's 5th team frustrated with the result which didn't reflect the game.

Gore Court 5XI 2-3 Herne Bay 5XI

Gore Court 5XI continued their up and down form in Kent Division 4 with a close fought 2-3 home loss to Herne Bay 5XI.  Court were out of the blocks quickly and took a 2-0 lead with goals from Harry Medhurst and James Upson but Herne Bay scored two goals of their own to set up and exciting end to the game.  Court were unable to keep the visitors out and eventually Herne Bay pressure finally saw them score the winning goal to make the final score 3-2.

K Sports 4XI 2-5 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI had their biggest win of the season away at K Sports 4XI on Saturday.  Court dominated the start of the first half and took the lead when Mark Leppard ran through the heart of the K Sports' defence and passed to James Upson who crossed the ball for Harry Medhurst to tap in at the far post.  Stuart Bing then made it 2-0 with another tap in after a goal mouth scramble before K Sports came back into the game and scored two goals of their own to make it 2-2 at half time.  Gore Court came out with renewed enthusiasm and took the lead again with a fine strike from Upson and not long after the result was secured when the ball fell to Neil Brookson who hit the ball into the top corner of the goal to make it 4-2.  Medhurst then scored his second of the game with another tap in at the far post to make the final score 5-2 to Gore Court.

Gore Court 5XI 0-2 Old Bordenians 4D


Gore Court 5XI faced table toppers Old Bordenians 4D at Westlands in a competitive game in Kent Divivion 4 which resulted in a 2-0 win for the away team.  Old Boys showed why they are top of the league from the off pushing Court into their own half in what became like a training ground defence versus attack drill.  Court were left to try to score from the odd counter attack before Old Boys took the lead from a short corner which sneaked in through stand in keeper Will Reynolds pads.  Reynolds had a stormer of a game keeping out further Old Boys short corners but they were to score another in the second half but not before Andy McIntyre had made a great save with his stick from a drag flick to keep the score down.  A good battling performance from Gore Court sees them make a positive start to the second half of the season albeit not with the result they wanted.

Gore Court 5XI 2-1 Gravesham and Wellcome Unicorns

Gore Court 5XI snatched a last minute winner against Gravesham and Wellcome Unicorns after the game seemed to be heading for a draw.  Gravesham were quick out of the blocks with some good midfield play and quick breaks from their forwards and it wasn't long before they took the lead.  Court carried on plugging away and began to get a foothold in the match.  They equalised after some good play down the right hand side from Paul Mills who crossed the ball for Stan McIntyre to score.  With both sides looking for the win and both defences holding strong, Court managed to break into the D.  Dom Quinn slipped the ball under the advancing Gravesham keeper and it sneaked into the goal off a defender to make the final score 2-1 to the home side.

New Beccehamian 3XI 3-0 Gore Court 5XI

Gore Court 5XI travelled away this weekend to Beckenham to face what is always a keenly contested match against New Beccehamian 3XI.  Court had much of the ball early in the game but were unable to capitalise on their possession and it was New Beccs who took the lead.  After half time Court kept pressing and a succession of short corners came and went without success as well as chances in open play.  New Beccs were able to score another two goals without reply which lead to the home side winning 3-0.

Gore Court 5XI 4-0 Burnt Ash 7XI

Gore Court 5XI moved up to second in Kent Division 4 with a 4-0 win at home to Burnt Ash 7XI on Saturday.

 Court were two goals up within the first seven minutes with both goals coming from James Upson before they went further ahead with a goal from Ashley Simmons after some great work from Charlie Kingston.  Kingston was then forced off with an injury which meant the end of his game but Court kept pressing and eventually got their fourth after Simmons scored his second. 

Herne Bay 5XI 2-4 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI got their first win of the season with a fine 4-2 result away at Herne Bay 5XI.  The match started evenly with both teams sharing possession but it was Gore Court who took the lead with a fine strike from Nigel Eves from a short corner.  Herne Bay scored two goals to make the game 2-1 at half time.  Court started to pass the ball around better in the second half which resulted in a goal for James Upson after a pass from Eves on the right.  Court's third goal was a carbon copy but this time Ned Bishop passed the ball to Ben Heather to slot the ball home.  Eves then scored another from a short corner to make the final score 4-2 to Gore Court.

Old Bordenians 4D 5-1 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI faced a tough away game at local rivals Old Bordenians 4D and came away with a heavy 5-1 defeat.  Old Boys were stronger than Gore Court through the middle of the pitch from the off and this began to tell with the home side taking a 3-0 lead into half time with some well taken goals.  Gore Court tried to strengthen up the midfield at half time which worked to an extent conceding only two in the second half before they scored a late consolation goal with some good work from James Upson who played a one-two with Andy Perriam before passing the ball to Harry Medhurst who finished the move off.


Gravesham & Wellcome Unicorns 0-1 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI played their last game of the season against Gravesham & Wellcome Unicorns in a re-arranged fixture and came away with a narrow 1-0 win.  Gore Court had the upper hand for the first ten minutes or so until the first set of substitutions when Gravesham became stronger and began pressing Court back.  Court goalkeeper Darren Ollerenshaw kept the score to 0-0 at half time and shortly into the second half some strong perserverance from Stan McIntyre meant winning the ball back from a Gravesham defender which found its way to Harrsion Scott who jinked his way into the D and slotted the ball past the Gravesham keeper.  The game became quite feisty towards the end of the game with both teams reduced to ten men after each having a player yellow carded but Gore Court were able to hang on to finish the season on a high.


With six new players from the Back to Hockey initiative in October, some of whom had never played before, and five new juniors playing in their first season Gore Court 5XI can be proud of finishing mid table in Kent Division 4 and can now enjoy a few months off before starting again in September.

Gore Court 5XI 8-1 Burnt Ash 7XI


Gore Court 5XI recorded their highest win of the season with an 8-1 scoreline against Burnt Ash 7XI.  With what seemed at times like gale force winds at their backs Gore Court spent most of the first half being pushed into the opposition's half.  James Upson scored the first shortly before Jon Jackson doubled the lead.  Court found themselves 4-0 up at half time with more goals from Jamie Horne and Charlie Kingston knowing that Burnt Ash would have the chance to come back at them aided by the wind in the second half.  Ash scored the first goal in the second half and it looked like it could be "a game of two halves" but Court kept battling the conditions and their opponents and scored another four without reply with further goals from Upson and Jackson along with goals from Will Dixon and Harry Medhurst.

Gore Court 5XI 2-5 New Beccehamians 3XI


A spirited Gore Court 5XI side went down to a heavy 5-2 defeat at home to New Beccehamians 3XI despite having some good play.  New Beccs went ahead in the first half but shortly afterwards Gore Court were awarded a penalty flick for the deliberate use of the back of the stick by a New Beccs defender.  Neil Brookson stepped forward to slot the ball into the goal by the post beyond the keeper's reach to level up the score.  New Beccs then were to score a second but Harrison Scott levelled the score again with a calmly placed shot past the keeper after being found with a perfect ball from the midfield.  New Beccs' greater experience began to tell later on in the game with them scoring three goals without reply to take all three points back to Beckenham.

Gore Court 5XI 3-2 Marden Russets 5XI


Gore Court 5XI faced their second successive home game against one of the top two in Kent Division 4 with a win against Marden Russets 5XI by three goals to two.  Marden dominated the early play but the Court defence managed to hold firm until the away team took the lead.  Court kept on battling and managed to win a short corner which Sam Buck scored with a neat slap pass into the corner of the goal.  Marden again took the lead only for Buck again to equalise from another short corner this time with a sidestep to get past the on rushing defender and flick the ball into the same corner.  Will Baker made some fine saves in his first game in goal for the Court 5XI to keep the scores level late into the game until Matt Shearer scored the winner from another short corner to give the home side their first win since November.

Gore Court 5XI 1-2 Old Bordenians 5XI


The local derby between Sittingbourne's two hockey club's 5XIs ended up with a 2-1 away win for Old Bordenians against Gore Court at Westlands.  Old Boys were attacking from the start showing why they are top of Kent Division 4 with their experienced players showing the way.  However, Gore Court took a surprise early lead when their youngster Harry Medhurst nipped into the D to slot the ball past the opposition keeper with a neat reverse stick shot.  Old Boys started to fight back with a number of short corners one of which they scored and another from which they got a penalty flick after the ball hit a Gore Court foot on the line.  The flick was duly scored and the game then became end to end but it was Bordenians who held on to take all three points.

Gore Court 5XI 1-2 K Sports 3XI


The second half of the hockey season resumed on Saturday with a home defeat for Gore Court 5XI against K Sports 3XI. The match was fairly even with both sides having a mixture of youth and experience and Gore Court took the lead half way through the first half when Andy Bourne slammed the ball past the K Sports keeper for his first goal of the season. K Sports scored twice in the second half after some resolute defending from Gore Court to finish the game 2-1 to the away side.

Gore Court 5XI 0-4 Ashford 6XI


Gore Court 5XI suffered a heavy defeat against a talented Ashford 6XI in their last game before the Christmas break.  This new look Gore Court side, with five players from the Back to Hockey initiative and five U14s added to the handful of older, regular players, are starting to gel and find their feet, although Ashford proved to be slightly stronger as they were able to put away their chances.  New goalkeeper Jason Heather made some excellent saves to keep the score down to four goals and with the team sitting at fifth in a division of ten teams and closer to the top team than the bottom one on points, they can look forward to pushing on in January.

New Beccehamians 3XI 3-4 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI faced the traffic chaos with the closure of the M20 to make their furthest trip of the season to deepest darkest Beckenham but were rewarded with a hard fought 4-3 win.  The lead in the game changed hands all through the match with both sides thinking they had done enough only to see their lead overturned.  Court first scored through Andy Sanderson followed by a finely struck short corner from Barry Wilshire with Pete Birchett getting in on the act before Sanderson scored the winner sending Court's half a dozen brave but cold supporters home happy.  The win moved Gore Court up to second in the table in Kent Division 4 taking the place of the New Beccs side.


Marden Russets 5XI 6-0 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI suffered their heavest defeat of the season with a 6-0 drubbing away at league leaders Marden Russets.  It was clear from the off that this was going to be a long afternoon for the away team as the very strong Marden side took control early on.  New Gore Court keeper Jason Heather did well to keep the score down to 4-0 at half time and with a slight reorganisation at the break they managed to keep the ball more but still conceded twice in the second half due to Marden breakaways.

Gore Court 5XI 3-0 Gravesham and Wellcome Unicorns


Gore Court 5XI made it three wins on the trot against Gravesham and Wellcome Unicorns with a comfortable

3-0 result on Saturday.  The Unicorns showed early promise but with four new players from their Back to Hockey initiative making their debuts and playing as though they had never been away, it was Gore Court who were to take an early lead.  The ball found it's way to Ashley Simmons who with his back to goal cheekily flicked the ball backwards to deceive the Unicorns keeper who saw the ball slowly roll past his left leg into the goal.  The home side doubled their lead when Matt Shearer tricked his way past a couple of defenders to slide the ball into the goal.  With the game now in their control Gore Court won a few short corners which the Unicorns stoutly defended until late in the game when man of the match Shearer got his second with a firmly struck shot from the top of the D to see the game finish at 3-0 to Gore Court.

Old Bordenian 5XI 2-3 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI travelled across town to face local rivals Old Bordenians on Saturday.  Old Boys were much the stronger side to begin with and had several opportunities to take the lead but their forwards were unable to convert any of their chances.  Some stout defending from Gore Court along with a touch of good fortune meant the away side were still in with a shout when the game could have been finished off early on by Old Boys. Gore Court's side was made up by a mix of youth and experience and they manged to score a goal against the run of play when Mark Webber calmly slotted the ball past the Old Boys' keeper.  Webber was soon to pounce again towards the end of the half before Paul Birch made it 3-0 at half time from a short corner, a scoreline that flattered Gore Court.  


Old Boys continued to press and should have scored from more chances but it wasn't until late on that one of their forwards struck shot past the Gore Court keeper from the top of the D.  Dave Crompton scored from a penalty corner for Old Boys right on the full time whistle to make the score 3-2 but it was Gore Court who ran out winners.

Gore Court 5XI 2-1 BBHC 4XI


Gore Court 5XI began their league season with a new group of six youngsters all making their debuts in adult hockey.  BBHC arrived with only eight players so a couple of Court's players switched sides until the BBHC reinforcements arrived after about 20 minutes by which time Court were a goal to the good from Andy Perriam who was back at his first club after a period of a few years away.  BBHC soon drew level and began to dominate the game with most of the game now being played in the home side's half.  Such was the dominance of the visitors it seemed only a matter of time until they would surely score but their pressing led to a breakaway from Court who raced up the pitch, Perriam squared the ball to Mike Birch who slammed the ball through the goalkeeper to steal the points on the stroke of full time.


Gore Court 5XI 1-3 Gravesham and Wellcome 2XI


Gore Court 5XI entertained Gravesham and Wellcome 2XI for the final game of the season knowing that a home win would thwart the away team's hope of winning the league title.  Gravesham were soon to show why they are top of the league with some neat play but Gore Court were proving that it was not going to just be a coronation.  Court dug deep and began to show why their results of late have been much better than earlier in the season but eventually Gravesham took the lead when the Court defence seemed to part to let the Gravesham forward pick his spot to give his side the lead.  They then scored two more to put the game beyond doubt before Ashley Hooker scored a consolation from a short corner.  Gore Court's 5XI have performed heroics this season after being pushed up into a league that they were not quite ready for but recent performances against the teams at the top of the league have provided hope for next season.  Thanks go to the older heads for dragging themselves about for another season but especially to the younger players who have stepped up their performances and have all made good progress in a tough league, none more so than Player of the Season Alfie Short who has shown great maturity and dedication to the team. 

Gore Court 5XI 1-0 Blackheath 5XI


Gore Court 5XI managed a narrow 1-0 win against a talented Blackheath 5XI on Saturday to record their first consecutive victories in a difficult season.  Blackheath were on the front foot from the off and Court keeper Darren Ollerenshaw had a busy afternoon keeping the visitors out.  However, it was Court who were to take the lead in the first half when Paul Mills tied the Blackheath defence up in knots before calmly slotting the ball past the opposing keeper.  Blackheath kept pressing and thought they had scored in the second half from a short corner but the umpires disallowed it as the ball didn't go out of the D before being brought back inside before the ball was struck, therefore it was an infringement of the rules so a relieved Gore Court defence got a free hit out instead of losing a goal.  After that scare, Gore Court went into full defensive mode and repelled attack after attack with Blackheath pressing hard for the equalising goal.  Gore Court's tactic of hitting the ball as far away from their goal as possible time after time eventually paid off along with some nifty protecting of the ball in the far corner of the pitch by Sam Boyns.  Ultimately though it was a hollow victory as Holcombe 5s managed to get the point they needed to secure their place in the league and relegate Gore Court.

Gillingham Anchorians 3XI 1-2 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI made the short trip to the Medway Towns to play local rivals Gillingham Anchorians 3XI in a bottom of the table clash which saw the away team snatch the points in the dying minutes.  Anchorians are lying third from bottom in Kent Open Division 1 and just out of the relegation zone whereas Court are bottom with faint hopes of staying up.  With Anchorians missing open goals and hitting the post it looked like it would be a long afternoon for Gore Court with goalkeeper Darren Ollerenshaw saving plenty of shots to keep the score at 0-0 at halftime.  An early second half penalty stroke to Court gave them a glimmer of hope but a technical infringement of too many steps took away the chance of an early goal.  Court were awarded another penalty flick which was this time scored by Jamie Horne.  Yet another flick was awarded, this time to Anchorians, who scored to level things up going into the last quarter of the game.  Both sides created and missed chances but with only a couple of minutes to goal Court broke away and the ball was fed to Sam Boyns to slotted the ball into the goal to set up a final minute of backs-to-the-wall hockey to protect the points. 

Marden Russets 3XI 2-1 Gore Court 5XI

Gore Court 5XI were defeated again at the weekend in another close game where they deserved more from the game than they got.  Marden went into an early two goal lead and looked like easily scoring the six goals they had scored in their previous two weekends.  Gore Court began to claw their way back into the match and slowly started to get to grips with the bounce of Marden's new pitch.  They scored their goal after some good work on the right hand side by Sam Boyns who played the ball across the D in front of the Marden keeper to Tom Amey who calmly tapped the ball back for Mark Webber to score.  Chances came and went for both sides and Gore Court nearly scored from a late short corner only to be denied by a Marden defender who cleared the ball off the line.

Gore Court 5XI 2-2 Holcombe 5s


Gore Court 5XI gained their first point for five games with a well deserved 2-2 draw against Holcombe on Saturday.  Court started well but Holcombe then had their own spell of pressure which resulted in a well taken goal on the striker's reverse side from a short corner.  Court then started to pass the ball a bit better and a flowing move saw Barry walker equalise with a well taken goal past the Holcombe keeper.  Walker then scored his second to make the score 2-1 and it looked like Court were going to see out the game for their first win since November but a mix up at the back saw the ball fed across the goal to an unmarked Holcombe forward who tapped the ball home.  A draw was a fair result but Gore Court had hoped to see out the game for the win but it wasn't to be.

Gore Court 5XI 6-0 Gillingham Anchorians 3XI


After their 5-0 drubbing at Blackheath last week Gore Court 5XI hit back with a comfortable 6-0 win against Gillingham Anchorians 3XI.  Gore Court were the dominant team from the off and early goals from Jack Streatfield and Neil Wanstall settled any worries of a repeat of last week.  Wanstall got his second early in the second half with a well struck short corner and two further goals from Ashley Simmons and one from Ashley Hooker completed a good team performance where chances were taken, unlike recent games where there were plenty of chances created but not many were taken.

Blackheath 5XI 5-0 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI travelled to South East London to face a strong Blackheath side only to suffer one of their heaviest defeats of the season on Saturday.  Blackheath were pushing Gore Court back from the first whistle and they took the lead from a well worked short corner.  Court nearly managed to hit back from a well struck short corner of their own from Ashley Hooker only for a Blackheath defender to stop the ball on the goal line and clear it away.  Court started brightly in the second half but couldn't deal with the speed of the Blackheath breaks and conceded regularly throughout the half, including a penalty flick, so the home team deservedly took the three points.

Gore Court 5XI 1-1 Marden Russets 3XI


Gore Court 5XI's steady start to the season continued at the weekend with a 1-1 draw at home to Marden Russets 3XI.  Both defences seemed to cope with each others attacks quite well but it was Marden who were to strike first.  Gore Court continued to apply pressure and finally Jamie Horne slipped the ball to Mark Webber who calmly slotted the ball into the net with a reverse hit.  Ashley Hooker came closest to adding to the score from a short corner but narrowly missed leaving both sides content with a draw.

Folkestone Optimist 5XI 1-1 Gore Court 5XI 


Gore Court 5XI made the trip to the coast on Saturday to play in a match which is usually a well contested affair and this was no different.  The home team made most of the early running and eventually managed to take the lead halfway through the first half.  Undeterred, Gore Court kept pushing forward and a number of chances were created from short corners the best of which saw Neil Wanstall play the ball back to injector Jamie Horne who slid the ball past the Folkestone keeper.  The second half was equally well contested with short corners and chances for both sides the best of which fell to Folkestone when the ball was whipped across in front of the Court goal only for the forward to deflect the ball onto the post and wide.  A 1-1 draw was a fair reflection of the game although both sides would have preferred the win to help their leagues positions.

Gore Court 5XI 3-1 BBHC 3XI


Gore Court 5XI got their first win of the season with a 3-1 home defeat of BBHC 3XI.  A fairly even match saw Court take the lead from a short corner when Neil Wanstall passed the ball back to injector Nigel Eves who calmly put it beyond the BBHC keeper's reach.  BBHC were soon to hit back but Eves scored his second after being set up by Sam Boyns.  Eves was to round off his hat trick with a carbon copy of the first goal to secure the points for the home team and to finally get the result the recent performances have merited.

Holcombe 5s 1-0 Gore Court 5XI


Gore Court 5XI faced another tough match again at the weekend away at Holcombe 5s.  Holcombe had the better of the play in the first half and came close to scoring in a goalmouth scramble with Neil Brookson just managing to scoop the ball away from the goal line.  Goalkeeper Tom Miller performed heroics in the Court goal and at the other end the Court forwards came close on a number of occassions but were unable to find the net.  Holcombe managed to break the deadlock halfway through the second half from a short corner and were then to hit the post late on.  Gore Court had plenty of short corners themselves but could not take advantage of any of them.  Debutant Joshua Laird had an impressive first game on the wing dribbling past the Holcombe defence time and again, and Court had a chance to equalise right at the death from a short corner but Nigel Eves' shot just whistled past the Holcombe far post.

Gore Court 5XI 0-2 Canterbury Squires

Gore Court 5XI suffered succesive home defeats with a 2-0 loss to Canterbury Squires after a hard fought game.  The first half was a pretty even affair with both teams cancelling each other out but going into the second half it was Court who were to start the stronger.  They had a succession of short corners which they were unable to convert owing to some resolute defending from the Squires.  Gore Court did manage to get the ball into the Squires net but the umpire blew his whistle for a short corner a second before they scored for a foul on Barry Walker, which probably could have been deemed bad enough for a penalty flick.  Canterbury then started to come back into the game and managed to score a scrappy goal after a goalmouth scramble before scoring a goal high into the Court net, a goal the type of which is rarely seen at this level.  Next Saturday Court face a tricky trip to Holcombe hoping for their luck to change.

Gore Court 5XI 2-6 Bromley & Beckenham 6XI

Gore Court 5XI (last year's 6XI) began their league season in a league above where they finished last year, due to a rejig of the leagues, with a tough 6-2 defeat against a talented Bromley & Beckenham 6XI team on Saturday.  It was clear from the off that the Brombeck's team were going to dominate the game and so it proved with most of the first half spent inside the Gore Court half.  Court were to go down 1-0 early on with a goal which trickled over the line, a goal which was not celebrated by the Brombeck's team as it was quite unbeliveable that the defence were unable to clear it.  Goals came and went with the new Court keeper Tom Miller performing heroics and the other Gore Court 5XI debutant Sam Boyns claiming an assist as his pass ended up at the feet of Mark Webber who calmly slotted home.  Webber got his second with a well taken strike on his reverse but it was Brombeck's strength which was to win out in the end and a few quick goals saw off any home resurgence.